Thursday 3 November 2011

Desperation - not good for sales!

Something I have noticed among some fellow costume jewellery makers, is the amount of people flooding Facebook groups with their items for sale.
Now I'm all for a little self promotion but this just seems to be ridiculous. Apart from filling up the page so responsible posters items get lost, it all just comes across as desperate to me.
One poster I have noticed in one of the many groups I belong to, has taken to putting comments on her own posts to keep her picture bumped up to the top of the page. This may be fine if the group admin allows this but the comments that are left are things like "any takers?" or "why is nobody buying my jewellery?" I have to bite my tongue a little as temping as it is to say "because you reek of desperation" it might also have something to do with the badly lit out of focus pictures that the person is using.
Surely the best way to sell your work is to take your time staging the photograph and the quality will speak for it's self. Also to engage with others and take interest in their work.
Get your name known in the group for being friendly, give hints and tips to others and complement their work. In my opinoin the sales will come eventually and you wont be known as the annoying person that is just out for themselves.
Anyway rant over for today and here's a picture of my latest Christmassy creation.


Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment